Top 100 Songs of 2023

Fourth edition of the Top 100 Songs of the Year. These are songs that organically came my way, whether through the JBP, suggestions from my close ones, and through my own listening privy. From December 2022 to November 2023 these are the best 100 Songs I listened to from 100-1.


100. Hoodie feat. Bslime and Lil Gotit


Artist: Young Thug

Album: BUSINESS IS BUSINESS

One of the hardest tracks from Thugger's BUSINESS IS BUSINESS. Thug's voice is electric to start it off, and his flow addresses the trials, literally, that he's been going through over the past year. Family trauma always works for good lyrics and Thug channels former pain to describe his present situation. 

"Mama say she look in my eyes, she see a casket

Daddy said he look in my eyes, he see a bastard

I look in his eyes and I see a future pastor

Funny niggas tryna be cool, you're an actor

No, I don't wanna lose, so I Casper

I was rockin' Jimmy Choos on my first tour

I still was thinkin' like a fool on my first tour

Now I'm on my worst tour

99. Gone Girl


Artist: SZA

Album: SOS

One of the slower ballads from SZA outstanding SOS, SZA channels the ultimate girly girl feel, letting her ex know that "she's gone, gone girl. You better learn how to face she's gone girl." Her lyrics are always pure of honesty and SZA pulls no punches whenever she talks. "I need more space and security. I need less voices, just you and me."

98. Private Landing feat. Future and Justin Bieber



Artist: Don Tolliver

Album: Love Sick

From the first sound this song is a hit. A great beat and an easy repeatable chorus from Don T. The features steal the show as Future and Justin Bieber turned in some of their best work. Bieber's the most quotable as he comes in with pure heat. "I guess I'm spinning, double cup I'm leaning."

97. KRUSTY KREW ANTHEM (BACK ON THE GRILL)



Artist: Kash Krabs, Oddwin & Sauceward

Album: Single

Ok, I know I'm childish, but whoever made this hoe gripped tf out this hoe. I started out initially laughing when I first heard this, but as I listened closer, Mr. Krabs talking that shit. It's a fun listen, and they all gave us some really good bars. 

96. Evil Ways feat. J. Cole


Artist: Drake

Album: Scary Hours 3

Drizzy dominated the year for me, so this is the first of many times you'll see the name Drake on this list. Round 2 versus J. Cole and Drake went about this one a little smarter than the first go round. This is a rapper's rap song as they trade witty bars back and forth between the two. Too many great one liners to quote, but I think Drake took the cake with "you niggas ain't getting no bread, you in a keto phase."

95. Ambitious



Artist: Jack Harlow

Album: Jackman.

Jack gives us the bars, after the flop of last year's album. His best work came with Drake, so that was a cheat code. He heard the critiques and delivered heat on Jackman. Ambitious is the only entry from that decent album and Ambitious takes us through the path of a young rapper from Kentucky at age 14, 19 and 24. 

94. Water



Artist: Tyla

Album: Single

Dominating the air waves, I was late to the party on Water. It really took a fake AI remix for me to actually listen to it. By any means as long as it catches the ear right. Water is a fun, upbeat sex song, that uniquely instructs a gentleman to simply make this girl go crazy. Catchy beat, decent vocals creates a hit. 

93. Princess Cut feat. Chloe



Artist: Offset

Album: SET IT OFF

So if you're gonna put on Michael Jackson clothes I'm gonna give your album a spin. In what was a miss as an album, Offset did deliver some hits. Princess Cut is towards the end of the album, and while Set did a good job on his verse, Chloe stole the show. She comes in with a staccato type flow, and she rode tf out the beat. I was pleasant surprised by it, especially since most of her sexual stuff is corny. 

92. Pick Up feat. Fabulous



Artist: Diddy, Jacquees

Album: The Love Album: Off the Grid

I'm never searching for Jacquees eee ee'ing ass music, but when Diddy selected him to sing on his Love Album I obliged. Look, the boy actually did a really good freaking job. He didn't too much, found the beat and rhythm and rode tf out of it. "I'ma give what you neeeed baby, if you let me take the leeeeaddd baby!" Fab's verse is cool, but Jacquees stole the show. 

91. Temporary feat. Don Toliver



Artist: 6LACK

Album: Since I Have A Lover

6LACK delivered a really great album, with a lot of different sounds. Temporary is one of my favorite sounds from the album. He always has a dark, gritty sound, so his pairing with Don Toliver is a match made in heaven on this grimy sounding RnB track. Don T comes in with one of the best choruses of the year. "That's how I know I can't give you up (oh) Most times, it's temporary Most girls are temporary Most feels are temporary This time it's not This time, I can't give you"

90. Blood Moon feat. Lil Uzi Vert

Artist: Mike WiLL Made-It

Album: Single

"Stepped in this bitch like a killa, stepped in this bitch in all Margiela." Uzi put his foot all over this beat's ass from the first sound. I'm not the biggest Uzi fan in the world, but when the boy catch one, he catch one. A great beat from Mike Will and enticing flow Uzi creates a hit. 

89. SkeeYee

Artist: Sexyy Red

Album: Hood Hottest Princess

The reaction from my classes, lets me know this track deserves a place on this list. I ain't the biggest Sexyy fan, but SkeeYee one of those undeniable songs. A ratchet beat, a ratchet bitch, and a chantable chorus = a mfn hit.

88. Peaches & Eggplants feat. 21 Savage

Artist: Young Nudy

Album: Gumbo

More ratchet shit and I'm here for it. I was sold on the first bwuah. If you ignant enough to say it and it works, kudos to you my boy. 21's verse is a sleeper, it starts off kinda slow, but by the time he gets a couple of bars in he's on fire. 

87. Good Good


Artist: Usher, Summer Walker, 21 Savage

Album: Single

I didn't wanna like this song. Just being honest. It was cool, but Usher's vocals are so good, I found myself singing as hard as I could one day. At that point it's undeniable. We ain't good, good still feels a little corny, but I can't front this shit sounds good. I was sold when he sung, "All the love that we had..." that boy Usher cold. 

86. Leather Coat

Artist: Don Toliver

Album: Love Sick

My favorite track from Love Sick, Leather Coat is such a smooth vibe. Perfect for the road, the beat plays itself, and Don does an incredible job of meshing his unique voice to the easy sounds of the record. It's truly a gem, hope you find it as great as I did. 

85. My Address Public


Artist: NBA Youngboy

Album: Decided 2

When Youngboy start humming you know what time it is. I'm not the biggest YB fan, but when the boy catch one he catch one. This is definitely an environment song, just like most YB tracks. It's a constant head nodder, and once he says "Pour up on that keke, I'm YB, you know me Poured up off that codeine, I'm strapped, I'm movin' slowly," I'm hooked.

84. The Shoe Fits

Artist: Drake

Album: Scary Hours Part 3

“To all the ladies wondering why, Drake can't rap like that same old guy.” King of Petty strikes again, holding both genders under fire for our bum broke ways. Drake tells the stories of a woman in an abusive relationship, a stuck up broad that acts better than the situation, but meanwhile she sucking dick on cam and of course the broke boys sharing 1 bottle of Henny with 5 of the bros. Lol classic Drizzy.

83. Topia Twins feat. Rob49 & 21 Savage



Artist: Travis Scott

Album: Utopia

Utopia was lit af, and Topia Twins is a big reason why. Rob49 brings crazy energy to the party, and Trav and 21 go crazy in following. One of my favorites from Utopia this record needs to be on your Workout playlist like yesterday. 

82. Popular feat. Playboi Carti

Artist: The Weeknd and Madonna

Album: The Idol Soundtrack 

If this is your first time reading one of these, The Weeknd is my boy. A very compelling voice mixed with a fun Miami Vice feeling beat equates a hit. Madonna actually shines for a woman in her 60s and Carti comes through in his unique style before The Weeknd comes in and finishes strong. 

81. Back to Your Place



Artist: October London

Album: The Rebirth of Marvin

It’s no secret that I think Marvin Gaye has one of the most untouchable voices of all time. So when October London recreated his style to match Marvin’s I had to give it a shot. I didn’t like the entire album, but did he ever channel Marvin on this one. From the backgrounds, the beat to his outstanding lead vocals, Back to Your Place is undeniable. 

80. Torpedo



Artist: Rae Sremmurd

Album: Sremm 4 Life

If this was Swae Lee’s song alone it’d be in the top 20. Ima huge Swae fan and the boy does an incredible job of finding melodies out of nowhere. Torpedo is no different. The only bad thing about this song is his partner drags it out another 2 unnecessary minutes. Other than that, straight heat. 

79. Free Game feat. 42 Dugg and Lil Uzi Vert

Artist: DJ Drama

Album: I’m Really Like That

A crazy beat and 2 crazy flows from 2 rappers who can absolutely slide. 42 starts the song off with crazy energy, and Uzi finishes it the same way. Another song that’ll take your Workout playlist to another level, this track stands out on an other wise mid Drama album.

78. Transparency

Artist: 2 Chainz, Lil Wayne & Usher

Album: Collegrove 2

Chainz and Wayne are smooth as ever, but Usher did not come to play when it was his turn. His trademark yeaaaahh run during his verse solidified this songs placement on this list, and it’s absolutely remarkable that he’s still killing at 45.

77. When It Comes to You

Artist: Fridayy

Album: Fridayy

One of the newer unique voices in the RnB world, Fridayy plays no games on When It Comes to You. The way “I won’t waste your time” is sung on top of the beat dropping, creates an instant hit. The boy sings his ass off in his own weird way, and I’m here for it. 

76. Tough Love feat. Swae Lee

Artist: Diddy

Album: The Love Album: Off the Grid.

By no means am I a dancer, but when this shit comes on I channel my inner pop locking God. It’s a crazy instrumental, mixed in with one of my favorite vocalists in Swae Lee. The boy is unique and when he says “you were my family” repeated by a bunch of e’s on beat and rhythm I liked to threw my hat across the room. My only critique is the song is a little long, but even the last verse is still compelling.

75. You Got Em



Artist: Lil’ Durk

Album: Almost Healed

On what I think was an unappreciated album, You Got Em shines as the upbeat tempo and flow of Durk shine throughout this track. While the chorus is simple, the chant ability and beat keeps the head nodding throughout the track. Another definite workout track. 

74. WORTH IT

Artist: Offset and Don Toliver

Album: SET IT OFF

Cue the Lil’ Kim dance as the Busta Rhymes “Hands Where I Can See” sample slips through your stream. Toliver is one of the key go to Hook singers in music today, and he understands the assignment almost every time. Offset’s flow is in its prime as he sounds awesome on this track. Excuse me while I dodge imaginary items through the air. 

73. I KNOW

Artist: Travis Scott

Album: Utopia

An incredible beat from what sounds like a lullaby, Trav creates another banger like only he can. The chorus is so easy, and sounds like he had the time of his life creating this masterpiece. Once you hear “I’m looking at her and her starting to turn into you, Now you starting to fuck up my mind is it you is it her?” just know the boy went into a one of a kind roll to end the verse. 

72. People feat. Arya Starr and Omah Lay

Artist: Libianca

Album: Single

Credit the JBP for all my reggae listens, and this one was incredible for me all year. Libianca’s voice is incredible and Starr’s background on the chorus is angelic. Omah Lay is one of the biggest stars in that genre, and while he kinda underperformed, it doesn’t derail the greatness of this one. 

71. 1000 Lives

Artist: RAAHiiM

Album: BUT IF IM HONEST

“But they don’t, they don’t have to know about all the lonely nights, they don’t know you’ve done this thing a 1000 times, a 1000 lives.” RAAHiiM’s voice is one of the newer ones to the scene and he had an incredible album in 2023. An RnB voice with a mellow pop song creates a hit. It’s a refreshing sound and definitely a bright spot in music for 2023. 

70. FE!N feat. Playboi Carti

Artist: Travis Scott

Album: Utopia 

One of the best, fun bears of the year, FE!N is absolutely crazy. Definitely an add to your workout playlist, and by the time the chorus works it’s way around you’re in full jigg ready to go in on the repeated FEIN. I could pass on Carti’s verse, but even he can’t hurt the overall production and litness.

69. Vultures feat. Bump J, Lil Durk

Artist: Kanye West & Ty Dolla $ign
Album: Single

Durk's verse is tough, but the beat is the true star of the show. When this shit hits, you really don't even listen to the words, because the beat is so overwhelming that as long as you rhyme it's gone slap. "Anti-Semtic I just fucked a Jewish Bitch." Kanye just don't care man. WTF. Ty Dolla ends the song with a great verse, and some easy melodic runs.  

68. Used feat. Don Tolliver

Artist: SZA

Album: SOS

What a year for Don T. as here he is again shining on another chorus. The mesh of this sound and his voice is perfect. I love SZA, but sometimes idk what she saying. All I know it sounds good. “I been riding, riding through this cold world, thought you had another one caught up with ole girl. I feel like it’s over. Something’s calling to get closer. I’m out of touch I need your love oh it’s a mile away. Aye one step one step we’re going all the way. I feel like it’s over. Something’s calling to get closer.

67. Bachelor

Artist: Turbo & Gunna

Album: Single

Kudos to Turbo for being the first one to put his name attached to Gunna after his snitching. I’m glad they linked. These mfs made a hit. Gunna’s ability to ride a beat, combo’d with Turbo’s base jumping at the right time reminds you why Gunna’s gonna be ok as long as he can make sounds like this. Do I know what he saying? Hell naw, but he going.

66. CIRCUS MAXIMUS feat. The Weeknd and Swae Lee

Artist: Travis Scott

Album: Utopia 

Mad Max meets Houston, Texas. Utopia, The 2023 Yeezus, gives us the 2023 version of Black Skinhead, and dare I say it’s better. While I think Kanye’s performance on Black Skinhead outshines Travis on CIRCUS MAXIMUS, The Weeknd’s voice cements in the “car race of your life” feel. Without question it’s stadium music and made to rock out an entire crowd. The production is incredible and levitation is definitely possible upon listening. Add to your workout. 

65. Incapable Heart

Artist: Q

Album: Soul,PRESENT

Dare I say it, but the boy reminds me of Prince. A lot of instruments, a live voice, and an awesome performer. Incapable Heart show cases all the best talents of Q. Its upbeat tempo creates a bounce in your shoulders off the rip, and Q’s voice allows you to continue to vibe. Just off this song you can tell his craft is important to him, and I can’t wait to get the next project. 

64. Slow Dancing feat. Kincy

Artist: Kenyon Dixon

Album: Single

Courtesy of the JBP, Kenyon Dixon’s Slow Dancing demands your attention from the jump. Dixon isn’t the most talented singer of all time, but the production creates such a welcoming flow that all he has to do is catch the wave. It’s a great snuggle up to song and one of the best of the year. 

63. Rich Baby Daddy feat. Sexyy Red and SZA

Artist: Drake

Album: For All The Dogs

The first entree from the Album of the Year I wanted to hate. I didn’t want to like this song. But by the 3rd time through it was over. The opening sounds are really what pops it off and captivates you. It gives me the feel of Child’s Play, one of my favorites from Views. I coulda did without Drake’s ending though.     

62. Driveway Furniture

Artist: Yo Gotti

Album: I Showed U So

“I need no distractions. Bitch just sent me 5 attachments like Glorilla said. Bitch you know Karrine stand for I want some Superhead.” Gotti said he had something to say and wasted no time on Driveway Furniture. My favorite off his album, Gotti still got bars in 2023. 

61. All the Parties feat. Chief Keef

Artist: Drake 

Album: For All The Dogs

5 star work from a professional song maker. It’s not a surprise when you see LeBron go off. It’s consistency. It ain’t a surprise Drake smoked this one. “It 6ix side town, a dead end world. East end boys and west end girls.”

60. Smurk Carter

Artist: Lil’ Durk

Album: Single

Durk takes the southern beat and applies his flow and absolutely slides on the chorus. The word play on his name was dope and executed properly. This head nodder is a bumper and one of the best.

59. No One Else feat. Fridayy

Artist: Chris Brown

Album: 11:11

The first entree from the second best album this year, No One Else is the evolution of Chris Brown. This is the 2023 version of Forever, yet it’s way more mature sounding and prime Chris Brown. The pros are the pros and CB is one of them. 

58. Waterfalls

Artist: Yung Bleu and Ty Dolla $ign

Album: Love Scars II

Crazy good song from Yung Bleu and Ty Dolla continues to prove why he’s him. The runs he does in the background are absolute asinine and is one of the most unappreciated voices even though we all fwhim. 

57. Serious

Artist: Omarion

Album: Full Circle: Sonic Book I

Courtesy of the JBP, Omarion smashed this song. He sounds as good as ever, and vocally he recovered from the horrendous Verzus performance. He gave us those classic Omarion runs from the Golden Days and felt real nostalgic. 

56. Adonis Interlude (The Montage)

Artist: J. Cole

Album: Creed 3 Soundtrack

Of course the hardest scene of the movie had the hardest rapper of the year over one of the hardest Rocky renditions beats I’ve ever heard. The Watcher flow was fuckin incredible and Cole does not play at all. Like at all. Tough. “Nigga want beef ima number 9 combo.” 

55. Mourning

Artist: Post Malone

Album: AUSTIN

This song just screams Dos Equis, smoke and BBQ. It was one of my favorite of the summer and the beat combined with Post’s white boy bars equals a hit.

54. Replay

Artist: Jozzy

Album: Songs For Women, Free Game for Niggas

First off wow. This lil lesbian can sing. Looks nothing like her voice and her voice is one of the most captivating from the new batch of artist I discovered this year. This was a Snapchat concert favorite and I sung this one as hard as I could. 

53. Calling For You feat. 21 Savage

Artist: Drake

Album: For All The Dogs

The treacherous twins linked up one more time for a Her Loss feel in Calling For You. A couple of things to highlight: Drake’s verse is top tier Drake. It’s as good of a performance I’ve heard from him. 21 Savage absolutely ripped a hole in his verse, and if you get past the annoying girl in the middle you gotta hit. 

52. Stand By Me feat. Morgan Wallen

Artist: Lil’ Durk

Album: Almost Healed

So in case you didn’t know, Morgan Wallen is him over there. This is a high dollar feature and the great thing about it, it’s sounds like a high dollar record. Wallen absolutely shines all over Durk in this one and I’m not mad. The genre is country and of course he better cook Durk in that realm. Kinda risky move outta Durk who’s been tryna cross over and it was well executed. 

51. Outside Freestlye

Artist: RAAHiiM

Album: BUT IF iiM HONEST

An incredible record from one of the newer artist this year. I love when they don’t waste time on  a record. If you a singer gone and sing, HiiM does just that and proving his name.

50. Tried Our Best

Artist: Drake

Album: For All The Dogs

Every man has been to an event with someone and thought, “Damn, I wish I wasn’t here with you.” Drake essentially sings our feelings for the girls that’s gotta do the most everywhere they go. Vocally, Drake is in peak form. The ending is gold. “Treated you like you’re one of mind, treated you- treated you, treated you, treaded you, treat you right… treat you riiiiigghhhttt.”

49. Pelle Coat

Artist: Lil Durk

Album: Almost Healed

The beat feels like Hours in Silence and I was hooked from then on. Durk started the album off great, and it’s about a minute too long, or it woulda been one of the best of the year. Durk's album wasn't the greatest but Pelle Coat was one of the highlights for sure. 

48. Metro Spider


Artist: Metro Boomin, Young Thug

Album: Heroes and Villains

H and V was the 3rd best album of the year to me, and Metro Spider is one of the toughest records from it. Thug is in rare form, rapping his ass off the start to the beginning. He's always made his voice an instrument, and the way he moves in out of different melodies throughout his flow is GOAT like work. His breakdown is classic Thug.

47. Feel Something

Artist: Chris Brown

Album: 11:11

Chris Brown has the formula, and almost all of his great songs can be referenced to something he's done in the past. Feel Something puts me in the Royalty era of Chris Brown, around the Back to Sleep time. It's an easy going, smooth record. Brown is at his best when the lyrics and the melodies are simple. He comfortably stays in his pocket, which allows him to easily travel to different octaves. He's him. 

46. Lonely

Artist: RAAHiiM

Album: BUT IF iiM HONEST

Songs for my saddest moments. Lonely channels in the emptiness of not being in a relationship, and the beat along with RAA's voice creates an incredible vibe and tempo for somebody to smoke and drink to and think about all of their mistakes. Preciate you RAAHiiM, you got me in my feels all 2023 with this one. A great song. 

45. Since I Have A Lover

Artist: 6LACK

Album: Since I Have A Lover

You know when a song is the namesake of the album, the artist feels some type of way about it. 6LACK deserves to feel a way about this one, because this joint is a jam. It's a little more popish than the dark, emo rnb that I'm accustomed to listening to from him. The song sounds like a man who just embraced a happier place and relationship. Congrats to him, helluva song. 

44. Soso

Artist: Kabusa Oriental Choir
Album: Single

Originially performed by Omah Lay in 2022, the Kabusa Oriental Choir remade their version of this Island hymn, and they absolutely bodied it. I love singing if you can't tell by now, and the way these voices are stacked on top of each other, the chants that intro a different portion of the song are insane. Them people were singing like they had bills due. They got paid.

43. Dirt McGerk feat. EST Gee & Lil Crix

Artist: Kodak Black
Album: Pistolz and Pearlz

I'm concerned for Kodak. He sounded fucked up on this entire album, lyrics sound slurred, just overall concern. As far as the song though, the way EST Gee came on this mf it was destined to be great. Lil Crix had a decent verse, but EST Gee stole the show on this track. Hopefully Kodak can chill on these drugs before it's RIP, but in the meantime I'm smoking on Dirt McGerk with Steve. 

42. NIGHT VISION

Artist: Offset
Album: SET IT OFF

There ain't too many things that get more excited for a track then hearing Young Thug holler out "METRO!" at the beginning. From the beginning of the song to the end, my head is in constant nod. The beat is ridiculous, and Set is rapping his ass off. It's an incredible workout song, and the chorus is easy to repeat and get behind. One of the few good tracks from Offset's album. 

41. Flooded The Face

Artist: Lil' Uzi Vert
Album: Pink Tape

Uzi is hit and miss. This is a hit. From the jump he's on his rapper shit, and he wastes no times offering bars. "First of all, I fuck 8 bitches a day. How could you ever say Lil' Uzi gay? Fuck 4 of em raw, fuck 4 of em safe, level the odds that's for you to debate." That shit hard. Flooded The Face stayed beating in the weight room for me. The up-tempo bodes for good energy, and this is another plus for him. 

40. Low

Artist: SZA
Album: SOS

A fun record from SZA. The beat is hella fun and SZA has always had bars y'all. The breakdown after her chorus is freaking insane. While she doesn't annunciate the best, her melodies are unmatched and she knows when and how to croon. Throw in the fact that you've got Travis offering some adlibs and the beat, you've got a guaranteed hit. "Whatever you want, whatever you neeeeed, don't call me. Don't call meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee."

39. Skitzo feat. Young Thug

Artist: Travis Scott

Album: Utopia

Travis waste no time on this one, and Young Thug's feature is a home run 480 feet out the park. Trav's never been the best rapper, but he's always been able to find the beat and ride tf out of it. Thug slides on this hoe without imperfections. "Bling-bling, I get a rush every time I see some diamonds. She get it up, she gon' bounce it like a trampoline.... Bouncing round like he want smoke I'm a chimney." When two of the best get together, especially with the chemistry these two possess, it's a guaranteed hit. 


38. Inwood Hill Park

Artist: 6LACK
Album: Since I Have A Lover

The beat might be the best of the year. 6LACK is almost a rapper the way he gets on a track and "talksings." He slides on this beat, and this might be one of the best choruses, and definitely one of the best vocal performances from an RnB singer all year. 

37. Space

Artist: Diddy & H.E.R.

Album: The Love Album: Off The Grid

H.E.R. is one of my favorites. In case she ever reads this, I love you. We should be together. Back to y'all, this entire song is angelic. The music is insane, and her voice is incredible. She's fully grown, we usually didn't get content and lyrics from her like this, but between her breaths and the sounds of this instrumental, I might've got hard. At least half chub. Great song, coulda did without hearing Diddy at the end though. 

36. To Summer, From Cole (Audio Hug) feat. J. Cole

Artist: Summer Walker
Album: CLEAR 2: SOFT LIFE EP

Cole went on a murder spree this year starting with the Creed 3 Soundtrack. When Summer Walker dropped this EP, which sorta was trash, the only track that stood out was this incredible verse from J. Cole. Cole speaks of his vulnerabilities with his emotions, all while giving Summer her flowers for being one of the inspirational voices of a new generation of RNB singers.

35. Blind

Artist: SZA
Album: SOS

The great thing about SZA is that she pulls no punches in her lyrics. They're always  super raw and leave nothing to the imagination. "Niggas want me to get ratchet, Niggas want me to attack it, put the hood on now they callin me Cassius..... fuckin on my ex cuz he validates me....My past can't escape me, my pussy precedes me." Blind is a helluva song that takes you through the roller coaster and the whirlwind that is SZA's mind. 

34. Til Further Notice feat. 21 Savage

Artist: Travis Scott
Album: Utopia

Trav does an incredible job of setting the scenery with his beats. 21 smashes his verse to start the song and the buildup in the beat is incredible. The beat slowly builds into a dramatic climax when Trav says, "Take a sip, I been goin' off the rip, I been bumpin' more Coldplay, the world cold as shit." It's a master class of production and bar placement and Travis proves why he's one of the best in the business. 

33. Oh U Went feat. Drake

Artist: Young Thug

Album: BUSINESS IS BUSINESS

There are not too many tags that get me excited before the song comes on, but Metrooooooo will get me ready every single time. A classic beat from the best producer in the game, a pretty good verse out of Thug and Drake delivers one of the best verses of the year on this feature. The melodic genius goes stupid: “Okay she got a perc in her Birk, I got her twerkin in Turks, She probably let both of us hit, the way she smirkin at Durk, she gettin cake off the picture she take, I say, “Girl if it work then it work” fuck a wedding dress I’m tryna merk and skkkrrrttt!”

32. Press Me

Artist: Chris Brown

Album: 11:11

"Energy, give it all to me, yeah. Come press me, come take what you need, lemme see you, dance in front of me year, impress me. Impress me babyyyyy." The beat makes you want to dance, and Brown's such a professional he knows how to make songs and lyrics that slide easy on tracks. Between the dancing you want to do, and the easily quotable lyrics from CB, you have a guaranteed hit. 

31. It Belongs to You

Artist: Diddy & Jozzy

Album: The Love Album: Off the Grid

Jozzy already introduced herself to the world on Replay that summer, so when she comes blaring out of the speakers on the first note of this song, it's a warm, surprising welcome. She's got one of the most invigorating voices in music and her voice creates a buzz and excitement to a song and instrumental that's just waiting for somebody to sing on. Jozzy does just that. 

30. That's On You feat. Future

Artist: Chris Brown

Album: 11:11

"Never thought you let a lame nigga change up the way that you move." This song I thought was a potential top 10, which speaks to the strength of the playlist this year. I loved everything about this song. Chris's verse is easy, and Future is in RNB peakness. I've never had a pretty Moroccan, but damn does he ever make that the coolest shit in the world. "Window Shopping - Shit too basic, came to me for your oasis, Girl I planned our next vacation, hate that love can get this dangerous."

29. Party Girls feat. Buju Banton

Artist: Victoria Monet

Album: Jaguar II

One of my absolute favorites from the year, another song I'd thought would be Top 10. This song dominated the summer for me, and Buju Banton's run at the end of the song is legendary stuff. The last 45 seconds Banton rips vocally and it starts with the scat. He was on it, and so was Victoria Monet. With her extra fine ass. 

28. Cars Bring Me Out feat. Future

Artist: Young Thug

Album: BUSINESS IS BUSINESS

Fucking hard. The beat, the flow, the tempo. Just a fun ass record, and both Thug and Future are on some of the best money shit. Truly a gem, super dope record. There's nothing like a good fun record. "I done got so rich I think my cars bring me out." That's a new money flex, and the shit hard. "My opp cop this one so I gave it to my bitch." That's hard. 

27. Daylight

Artist: Drake

Album: For All The Dogs

Insert rapper Drake for this one. Drake spends his time studying the young flow and adopted and adapted his style to give us a brand new flow. The Scarface drop creates a kinda cheesy buildup, but when the beat drops you understand the Tony Montana intro. Standin on business. Now there probably ain't a person that felt Drake the way I did when he said this. "I'm tryna fuck all the bitches that look like my ex, I'm makin her vex, I'm too complex, I carry a whole lotta gold on my neck." Rap my life then Drake. 

26. All My Life feat. J. Cole

Artist: Lil Durk

Album: Almost Healed

The J. Cole murder spree continued with Durk's All My Life. A fun, positive record from Durk. At first I was hesitant. These types of things can be almost gimmicky, but this was executed properly. The chorus is incredible, and between the vulnerability of Durk's lyrics, this was a great song before Cole came in for slaughter. 

25. First Person Shooter

Artist: Drake and J. Cole 

Album: For All The Dogs

A murder session. Cole took Drake to school. Drake came in for some friendly banter between 2 guys. Meh. It wasn't that for Cole. You can't come at Cole with the females think I'm the Goat. Nah, Cole a rapper rapper. This was clinic tape from Cole. He gradually built with the beat, addressed some beef, and got right back in his zone. After the Muhammad Ali, Cole preps his self to go Super Sayian mode. 

"When I show up, it's motion picture blockbuster
The G.O.A.T. with the golden pen, the top toucher

The spot rusher, sprayed his whole shit up, the crop duster

Not Russia, but apply pressure
To your cranium, Cole's automatic when aimin' 'em

With The Boy in the status, a stadium

Nigga"

Now Drake did come hard after Cole left, and honestly his verse after Cole was hard. Look - "girl gimme some head because I need it, and if I fuck with you afterwards I might eat it."

24. Ocean Spray

Artist: Moneybagg Yo

Album: Hard to Love

"Everything purple, I do it for Nuski That was my hitter, my dawg, my Scooby An eight of Wockesha, the bottle look gooey - I done got high to the point I look stupid - Drivin' the 'Rari, today, I feel coupie You with a street nigga, stop actin' bougie You say you love me, then make sure I'm good You say you ridin', then that's overstood"

I thought initally this song would've been in the Top 5. The beat is amazing and Bagg is doing some Bonafede rapping. It's a fun record and won that can be played almost anywhere. Shout out to Bagg for a helluva song. 

23. Away From Home

Artist: Drake

Album: For All The Dogs 

Aye Drake snapped on this one. Ain't no and, ifs or buts about it. The boy was in prime form going through all the times he went through on his route to being the man. "I remember" runs throughout the course of the whole song. My favorite line is Drake acknowledging that he just turned into a gangster. All you boys better crack a smile for we do a nigga foul. Fuck around lol. The next to last track on the album, it kinda stayed hidden, but not from me. One of his best work ever. 

22. Bread & Butter

Artist: Gunna

Album: A Gift & A Curse

How do you have a rap career after snitching on someone? Drop some hard ass shit. Bread & Butter was the perfect I'm back rap song. No producer tags, no features, just Gunna dropping bars. The shit sounded so good on loud speakers, it's undeniable. Gunna was pissed. Yall all not fucking with me and I get it, but yall fucking with people who did worse shit than me. Some of the people yall talking to done got some of your partners wacked, and yall mad at me because I got fooled. I feel him. Good luck to him, but as long as he dropping heat he'll forever eat. 

21. Jonesboro

Artist: Young Thug

Album: BUSINESS IS BUSINESS 

At one point this was the potential song of the year. The beat is incredible, and the sound and instrument himself Young Thug performs. He does an excellent job of riding the beat, slowing and picking up speed with the music, simply riding the beat. Overall, there's not any real bars that absolutely stand out to me, but the vibe the beat and the voice all create for great music. One of my workout favorites, Jonesboro is one of them.

20. Best Ever feat. Maeta

Artist: Chris Brown

Album: 11:11

Maeta had an incredible year. Her album had about 4 songs on my watch list, and when she enters her presence on this song, she makes it her. She's singing tf out of this song, and got me thinking she got the best pussy since Jazmine Sullivan. Chris Brown was not to be outdone though. "Cuz every part of your body, I'm wanting to explore. To figure out how you feel top of meeeeeee, you got me wanting more." CB is really him. The boy is cold smh. 

19. ICU Remix

Artist: Coco Jones & Justin Timberlake 

Album: Single

I was already in love with ICU, and when Joe Budden played the remix I was in awe to hear Justin Timberlake jump on this. On future listens, I can hear Justin in the background of Coco's chorus, which makes it incredible. I don't think Coco is elite, but she is talented. Timberlake is elite. And proves it immediately. The control, the range let's you know that JT is a professional song maker. After all that country shit, he couldn't wait to get back in his RnB bag, and did he ever on this one. I almost thought this was the song of the year, true testament to the top of this playlist. 

18. Bahama Promises

Artist: Drake

Album: For All The Dogs

As a Drake fan I love all versions of Drake, including RnB Drake. Drake comes in crooning to Hailey, and damn now I'm not a fan of this bitch either. Why she ruin that boy Bahamas trip like that. Drake is singing his ass off, and the background voices are trying to pay the rent. "And for someone you don't miss, I should feel like someone you need. Hailey... You ain't got no where to be. Cuz you shoulda been with me, the list of things we coulda been...... promise I won't cause a sceeeeeeennnneeeee. I got  too much respect for me." Only thing that was missing was Teezo's 7969 Santa run at the end. 

17. High & Holy

Artist: Killer Mike & Ty Dolla $ign

Album: Michael

Besides the speaking in tongues at the beginning and end: the beat, Killer Mike's flow and Ty Dolla's crooning created one of the best songs of the freaking year. Mike gives an apologetic flow to his past transgressions and Ty Dolla makes you wanna get High and Pray. It's a great song. 

16. Poundtown

Artist: Sexyy Red

Album: Single

"I can't say his name cuz he be cheating, yeah I'm the reason." This ignant heifer made one of the best songs of the year, on some purely ignant shit. I love it. This ratchetness was raw and organic, not like the Free My Nigga record. Everybody knows the colors of her inside regions, and I'm sure a million kids across campus have been written up letting everyone know their coochie pink and their booty hole brown. 

15. Drew a Picassso

Artist: Drake

Album: For All The Dogs

"You're miiinne, too many reeeeassonns why, I can't picture you with him, that's just so embarrassing I want to diiiiiiiiieee to diiiiee." This is a classic Drake record. It took awhile for me to get into it, but when I did, I've been stuck. We got classic singing, classic I can't believe you with this nigga lyrics, and then a classic Drake breakdown at the end of the song. I wasn't much of a fan of the Rich Baby Daddy breakdown, but this mf here is insane. GOAT.

14. Meltdown feat. Drake

Artist: Travis Scott

Album: Utopia

T-Time. Feature Drake is a different guy on somebody else's album. This was the flow we thought we were gone For All the Dogs. Drake buying folks old shit and melting it down is one petty ass thing to do, and for Trav to name it Meltdown let's folks know where the gang and affiliation is at. After Drake's outstanding verse, Travis goes Sicko Mode switching the beat and delivering a high level Travis verse. Another song I thought that would be top 10, but yet here we are. 

13. What Would Pluto Do

Artist: Drake

Album: For All The Dogs

Damn 3 Drake songs in a row. Anyway, we didn't get the Drake and Future combination on FATD, but we did get a Future reference in What Would Pluto Do. "Geeking off my pride, lost my Sprite deal cuz Wayne kept pouring 5's. You know I'm beefing with much older guys, before I catch with them they'll prolly ...." Classic Drizzy, and a top notch from effort from the boy. 

12. TELEKINESIS feat. Future and SZA

Artist: Travis Scott

Album: Utopia

This song exactly what a Travis, Future and SZA record should sound like. It's a grimace sound, the beat builds and allows all 3 of these artists to shine vocally. Future steals the show with his verse. Initially the features weren't listed, so when SZA comes blowing the speakers out it was a great, pleasant surprise. It sounds like high dollar production from high dollar artist. 

11. Need Somebody

Artist: Diddy & Jasmine Sullivan

Album: The Love Album: Off The Grid

What a refreshing breath of air Jazmine Sullivan is. She's incredible. I know she ain't singing bout the Lord, but this woman is anointed. I thought I felt a whisk of the ghost creep on me when she starts hollin around the 3:30 mark of the song. She cold. It's a great track on a down year from Jazmine, maybe which is why it stands out to me. Also Diddy didn't mess up the song by getting in the way. 

10. Purple

Artist: Goapele

Album: Single

Courtest of M4 from the JBP, Purple is a musical masterpiece. The sounds is incredible, her voice immaculate. The music surrounds you and fills the room, and Goapele does a great job of keeping the lyrics simple and easily repeatable. You enjoy songs a whole lot more when you know what they're saying. "Right here inside your purple haze." Goapele's voice reminds me of Lisa Fischer who sung "How Do I Ease The Pain." Maybe not quite the squealing range of Fischer, but her ability to float and live in the soprano is just angelic. 

9. Turn Yo Clic Up

Artist: Quavo & Future

Album: Rocket Power

When Quavo hit one he smokes it. This one got hit 450 feet out the park. The beat suits his style, his flow is simple and he keeps you interested for the clean up hitter Future. Future toxic as ever finally said fuck it and said Fuck Russell. That and his repeat of shiddd turnt me up through the roof. Toxic God speaking to his following and we're all listeners. 

8. Talibans

Artist: Byron Messia

Album: No Love

Courtesy of the JBP, Talibans is stupid hard. I'm not much of a reggae type listener, but this shit is hard. I sort of know what Messia is saying, but between the beat and his sound, this shit is undeniable. I haven't been outside and heard this, but I know this song would turn a place up at the right time. Fairly new to 2023, I'm very interested and intrigued in Messia's future from here. 

7. Sensational feat. Davido & Lojay

Artist: Chris Brown

Album: 11:11

Thentheytional! I didn't really even like this song until it dropped on the album and it all made sense. As a single it didn't truly stand out, but it just goes right along, and really sets the tempo and feel of 11:11. CB is a pro's pro and adopted the reggae style and accent, note me making fun of saying it with a lisp (thentheytional.) Brown outshines his costars, and is truly a gem on this track. Davido is always fun and his voice keeps you invested as well as Lojay. One of the better songs of the year. 

6. Stories About My Brother

Artist: Drake

Album: Scary Hours 3

"I thought you quit." Seconds after saying he was going to sit down Drake dropped Scary Hours 3 and Stories About My Brother was the star of the show. 4 minutes of bars, too many to recount or restate. "My brother a tool toter, my brother a tombstoner, Diamonds and violence made us bond, we grew closer, Brother a clip loader, my brother a sick soldier, That nigga stick'll it to you for real, he a lint roller, My brother a aim botter, I bought him a Range Rover, My brother a flame thrower, It's like he playin' EDM, that nigga a chain smoker, Niggas want smoke with us, I promise, it's game over, Get your ass twist right here, he a kane roller, And then you niggas whine to J Prince, like some grape growers, Man, what the-?.." my brother put holes in your top like an Air Force, damn Drizzy. Ya last album was buns you niggas Hawaiian af. SMH. 

5. Cuff It (Wetter Remix)

Artist: Beyonce

Album: Single

Incredible. Fucking incredible. The Wetter beat is already dipped in gold, but when you've gotta motivated Beyonce dropping a remix, you finna get this work. One of my favorite tracks of this year, Bey was fucking flawless in her vocals for this one. The way the guitar sung underneath her impeccable vocals, sent this instantly to the top. I listened to this from day 1 to whatever day it is you read this. Really some great work from the greatest female musician ever. 

4. fukumean

Artist: Gunna

Album: a Gift & a Curse  

This record made Gunna him again. Bread and Butter was cool, but this tore clubs up. The before untouchable Gunna made his self undeniable with a goofy ass ad-lib, a crazy beat and his impeccable ability to float and glide up and down a record. This shit is crazy good, and when the environment is right, watch the entire place go up. 

3. Superhero (Heroes & Villains)

Artist: Metro Boomin' & Future

Album: Heroes & Villains

Song of the year for the Longview Lobos for sure. When this dropped we blasted it everyday in the weight room. Fun fact, I never got sick of it either. Shout out to Dallas my bitch is a star. Metro is truly him on production, and Future's voice is one of the greatest of all time in the rap scene. He just knows how to make a song sound good, and I'm so glad nobody else wasted their time and efforts on this one. As much as I love Chris Brown, I may have heard his verse 6 times this year. I either ran it back or moved on. Despite the odd and out of place interlude, Superhero is one of the toughest ever. 

2. Members Only feat. PartyNextDoor

Artist: Drake

Album: For All The Dogs

The word play on the sound berr was crazy. I loved the song from the first time I heard it and I ain't got tired of it either. "My ex girl was a head case I can not defend her." Drake does a good job, but Party kills him. Maybe cuz I haven't heard a good Party verse in a while, but the guy takes off and delivers a rare air performance on this one. "I'll take ya farther than Mexicoooo," I'm singing hard as shit to it lol. This was a great moment this year, and my only regret is I wish I could've heard it all year long. 

1. Snooze

Artist: SZA

Album: SOS

Love at first sound. Snooze is incredible. From the opening run of the song to the last run of the song SZA bodied this. Same as always, her lyrics are raw and honest. She's willing to say what 90% of the girls aren't. Everything about this record is A+. The beat, the vocals, the background, the lyrics; this is the type of song you expect when you take a 5 year hiatus in between albums. This was curated out of love and care, and I'm here for it all. Truly an amazing song and performance.

Comments